Hair transplantation at sites other than scalp
Hair transplantation can be done at any hair bearing site. Though, scalp is the most commonly transplanted area in 98% cases, plantation of hair can be done in area such as eyebrows, eyelashes, beard, moustache etc.
Eyebrows frame the face. Well-shaped thick eyebrows make a face beautiful. They are an essential part of a well balanced face. Apart from cosmesis, it also has a function of preventing the sweat from tricking down over the eyelids. We transplant hair in eyebrows in the following conditions:
- Thin eyebrows: Some women have inherently thin eyebrows. This condition is commonly seen in mongoloid population though any race if affected. The hair are very thin and lightly coloured and require kajal pencil to define their eyebrows.
- Loss of eyebrows: It could occur as a result of some skin condition leading to loss of hair but no regrowth or only partial re-growth. Hair transplantation can be done in such cases after 1 year of stoppage of progression of hair loss.
- Injury to skin: There can be some physical or chemical injury to the area leading of loss of overlying hair in the eyebrow area.
- Ageing process: There is loss of hair leading to thinning of eyebrows as a person ages. Thin eyebrows makes a person appear older. Restoration can be done successfully in these cases.
- Leucotrichia: In condtions there the eyebrows turn white, such as vitiligo, hair transplantation can be done. It is known to restore pigment in remaining eyebrows.
Hair transplantation can be done to restore hair in eyelashes as well. This is a delicate procedure and requires immense precision. It can be done in cases of loss of eyelashes as well as in vitiligo then eyelashes become white in colour. Thin hair which match the texture of eyelashes are taken for reconstruction.
FAQ on hair transplantation in eyebrows and eyelashes
- How many grafts are required?
It will depend upon the amount of existing hair, facial features and how thick the eyebrows need to be. Usually 200-300 grafts are adequate for eyebrows and 15-20 hair for eyelashes.
- Where will the hair be taken from?
Thin, light coloured hair from the margins of scalp especially the lower part of scalp is taken.
- How long will the procedure take?
It is a short procedure and should be over in 2 hours.
- Is the procedure painful?
It is done under local anaesthesia and is not painful.
- Will the results look natural?
A well performed reconstruction looks very natural.
- What care should I take to maintain hair?
You might need to trim the hair once a month.
- Can the transplanted hair be lost?
No, they are permanent if there is no underlying cause for its loss in the first place. If the eyebrows or eyelashes were lost as a result of some skin disorder, then it should be done only once the disorder is under control.